Fall can be a stressful time of year, can’t it? The kids are back to school, you’re back to work following your summer excursion to a Caribbean beach, and the soothing embrace of the holiday season feels hopelessly far away. Wait, did I say “soothing embrace”? I think I meant “existential dread and pressure-packed gift buying”. In that case, we should also change “feels hopelessly far away” to read “looms ominously and approaches at warp speed”. Ah… Fall!
So how can eating well help you get a handle on your active, busy life? Below are five excellent stress-fighting superfoods that can help take the edge off and, as an added benefit, help balance your hormones without adding empty calories to your diet. You’ll be back to shopping for overpriced Halloween costumes with a smile on your face in no time!
1. Oranges. Research has shown that eating an orange can help you relax and return your blood pressure and hormone levels to normal.
2. Dried apricots. These contain both a natural muscle relaxant and magnesium – a known stress reliever.
3. Walnuts, pistachios, and other healthy nuts. In addition to regulating blood pressure, they also provide vitamins B & E.
4. Turkey. Tryptophan can make you sleepy, but it can also beat back anxiety and tension. Just keep your portion on the smaller side to avoid a long nap.
5. Fish. The omega-3 fatty acids in many fish can help regulate adrenaline and cortisol hormone levels, which flush away the lingering feelings of stress.