Drank too much last night? Then you’re probably looking for the fastest way to cure a hangover. The secret isn’t “Hair of the Dog,” or burnt toast, or black coffee – it’s not even greasy food. No, the cure for hangovers is actually quite healthy: bananas.
Alcohol is a diuretic, causing you to flush out key nutrients faster than usual, and your body has lost a lot of electrolytes and potassium in the last 8-10 hours. Replenishing these with a delicious smoothie will speed up your recovery time.
My Almond & Banana smoothie is the perfect hangover remedy – it’s packed with yellow fruit, which replaces the potassium lost in the detox process. Plus, bananas boost your electrolytes, as an added bonus Almonds are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that works against the harmful free radicals that are a component of alcohol.
- 1 large ripe bananas, peeled, sliced
- 2 cups chilled vanilla almond milk (we prefer the unsweetened with only 45 calories, 365 brand by whole foods is organic to boot)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of almond butter
- 1 scoop of a good plant based protein powder
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice
Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth (I apologize in advance for the noise). Divide smoothies among several glasses and enjoy!
Chocolate is full of the potassium that you lose during recovery, so your sorry state is a good excuse to indulge and add a heaping scoop of raw cacao to your shake. If you drink it for breakfast you might feel better faster.