We’re lucky in Florida – our growing season is year-round for many fruits and vegetables, which means we can eat locally all the time! But, even in our agriculturally blessed state, Spring is a special time of year with some extra special Super Foods to offer.
1. The Ataulfo mango is the creamiest, least fibrous, and most delicious mango out there – and it hits its peak from March through July. But, don’t be too sad if you see more Haden mangoes than Ataulfos – they’re both wonderful. Mangoes are packed with cancer-fighting antioxidants and vitamin C, and you can even use them as a light all-natural facial peel.
2. Key limes aren’t just great in cocktails and in pie – they make a delicious and healthy smoothie too. Limes, and lemons, help your body chemistry become alkaline, and contain flavonoids that fight cancer. And, of course, they are high in vitamin C. Try combining:
- 2 Tb key lime juice
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4th tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- with stevia to taste
- blend with four ice cubes.
3. Blueberries start emerging in Florida from April through June, bringing with them lots of antioxidants.
4. Cantaloupe is high in beta-carotene, which converts into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is vital for healthy skin, which makes cantaloupe the ultimate look-good food!