Carbohydrates seem to have a rather bad reputation these days, however carbohydrates play a key role in our body! Here is a list of 5 reasons you shouldn’t be hating on Carbohydrates:
- Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy.
- All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose, which comes from carbohydrates for energy.
- Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.
- Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy.
- Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination.
Carbohydrates are mainly found in starchy foods (like grain and potatoes), fruits, milk, and yogurt. Other foods like vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and cottage cheese contain carbohydrates, but in lesser amounts. Carbohydrates also include fiber which is essential in getting rid of waste in our bodies. Fiber is any carbohydrate that our body can’t digest. There are two types of fibers: soluble fiber which is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barely, and psyllium while insoluble fiber can be found in nuts, beans, vegetables, and whole-grains. Both offer many amazing benefits such as lowering blood cholesterol levels and glucose levels and help those that struggle with constipation.
Overall carbohydrates are very important in a healthy diet, but not all carbohydrates are the same, stay away from highly processed carbohydrates such as white bread, white rice, cookies, soft drinks, etc.. These items are what people tend to think of when we mention carbs, that is why I think carbohydrates have this negative reputation, however there are many good carbs out there. Carbohydrates aren’t the bad guys, processed foods are.