In the early days of Pinterest (what was that – all of 3 years ago?), when you searched for “Healthy holiday party recipes,” all you’d see is a Christmas tree made of broccoli and radishes. Healthy, but lacking in the vital ingredient of party food: Fun!
How times have changed. Taking inspiration from some of my favorite Pinterest finds (Check out my new Intelligent Holiday Entertaining Pinterest Board), I’ve got you covered for all of your holiday entertaining needs – from Brunch to Lunch and Dinner Potlucks.
5 Potluck-Perfect Healthy Holiday Party Recipes
1. Artichoke-Dip Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust (Brunch)
- Olive oil.
- 3 Sweet potatoes, sliced into thin rounds (1/8th”) – May need more sweet potatoes or less depending on their size.
- 5oz blanched spinach (or frozen spinach, thawed). Squeeze out excess moisture.
- 1 can artichoke hearts (in water), chopped.
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced.
- 1 Cup parmesan.
- 1 Cup low-fat cottage cheese.
- 4 eggs.
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate with olive oil and line it with a single layer of sliced sweet potatoes, placed so they overlap. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes, until browned. Reduce oven heat to 375.
Whisk together eggs, parmesan and cottage cheese. Stir in artichoke hearts, garlic and spinach. Pour into deep-dish pie plate. (There may be extra filling)
Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is puffy and lightly browned.
2. Christmas Tree Cucumber Tea Sandwiches (Lunch)
Using your favorite bread – sqaw, rye, or pumpernickel work great! – cut into tree shapes with a cookie cutter. Blend light whipped cream cheese (or your favorite vegan substitute) with chopped dill, a pinch of salt and fresh-ground pepper, and spread lightly on the bread. Cut a cucumber in half lengthwise and slice thinly (1/8th”), and arrange on the bread like the boughs of a Christmas tree. Finish with a light squeeze of lemon.*
*This works well with pita bread triangles, avocado hummus, and diced red pepper too!
3. Skinny Grapefruit Margarita (Drinks)
For one cocktail, combine: 1 shot of blanco tequila, 1/2 shot Triple Sec, 5oz grapefruit juice, and a twist of lime. Sweeten if necessary with agave syrup.
4. Omega-3 Bites! (Dinner Potluck)
You can call them smoked salmon-avocado bites, but I love these good-fat, brain-fueling appetizers. Lay out 1×3″ strips of smoked salmon and spoon mashed avocado and finely diced cucumber (sprinkled with a little salt and pepper – dill too if you like) into the middle. Fold salmon over the filling and spear with a toothpick. Top with a tiny wedge of thinly-sliced lemon.
5. No-Bake Pomegranate Chocolate Clusters (Dessert)
Ingredients – makes 20
- 1 pomegranate worth of seeds, rinsed and thoroughly dried (not like a raisin – just not wet to the touch)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Mini muffin pan & mini muffin liners
Put chocolate chips into a heavy-duty ziplock bag and heat in the microwave at 15-second intervals, kneading after each, until the chocolate is liquid. Snip off a corner of the bag, and drizzle a small amount of chocolate into a liner. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds onto melted chocolate, and drizzle more chocolate on top, topping with a pinch of shredded coconut. Repeat 19 more times, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don’t feel like cooking this holiday season? Come by the store and check out our Holiday Menu!